Junior Certificate Woodwork 2015 Projects
Below are the projects submitted by this years woodwork classes for the State Examinations.
Students had to pick one of the following design briefs and submit a project they felt answered the brief
Design Briefs – Ordinary Level
1. Design and make a compact desktop lamp for use by a young person in their personal space. The design should be enhanced by the use of native solid wood and should incorporate a facility to hold a mobile phone. All electrical connections and fittings should be included and must comply with current safety standards.
2. Design and make a decorative spice rack to enhance the kitchen area. The artefact should be crafted from solid woods and should be designed to display the spices in an attractive manner. Your design should incorporate a culinary theme.
3. Design and make a decorative artefact to promote a sporting activity in your school or community. The artefact should be attractive and well made. It may be wall-mounted or suitable for display on a shelf and should represent a central aspect of your chosen sport.
Design Briefs – Higher Level
1. At mealtimes the table can be cluttered and short of space. Design and make a portable and compact artefact to aid in the utilisation of space at mealtimes. Your solution should hold everyday mealtime items and make them easily accessible to those dining. Your artefact should incorporate design elements that contribute to an elegant centrepiece.
2. The transition from winter to spring is one of great change, renewal and hope. Design and make a decorative artefact which symbolises these themes. The design and realisation of your artefact should demonstrate a range of handcraft skills. The artefact should be suitable for display on a shelf or mantelpiece.
3. An elegant wooden feature can be functional whilst enhancing an entrance hallway. Design and make an attractive wall mounted artefact to hold three coats. It should also incorporate a storage facility for some additional small items. The handcrafted artefact should be slimline and should evoke a theme of your choice. Your design folio should show evidence of how your theme was developed.