Below are the projects submitted by this years woodwork classes for the State Examinations.
Students had to pick one of the following design briefs and submit a project they felt answered the brief.
Coursework 2019 – Design and Realisation Design Briefs
1. Design and make a compact artefact to store three small handheld gardening items. Your artefact should be portable and reflect a nature theme. The maximum dimension of your artefact must not exceed 350mm.
2. Animated movies have entertained audiences for many years. Design and make a decorative artefact to celebrate your favourite animated movie. Your artefact should exhibit skilful handcraft in wood. Your artefact should be compact and suitable for display on a desk or shelf.
3. Design and make an attractive wall-mounted artefact on which to hang four coats. Your artefact should incorporate curves and should showcase your handcraft skills. It should reflect a theme of your choice. The maximum dimension of your artefact must not exceed 400mm.
Design Briefs – Higher Level
1. Wood is an ideal medium from which to handcraft beautiful items of unique design and function. Design and make a distinctive artefact for the neat storage of newspapers, magazines or other printed material. Your artefact should include an innovative secondary function and should showcase a range of your handcraft skills. The maximum dimension of your artefact must not exceed 450mm.
2. Young people share global concerns about the health and sustainability of our oceans and seas. Design and make an elegant artefact that evokes the beauty and diversity of our oceanic habitats. Your design should reflect the importance of protecting and preserving our fragile oceans. A variety of carefully chosen hardwoods, complemented by a range of handcraft skills, should enhance your design. The maximum dimension of your artefact must not exceed 350mm.
3. Cherished items are often simple, cleverly conceived, well crafted and beautiful in appearance. Design and make a slimline unit to hold a variety of small personal items in a young person’s room. Your artefact should be designed to be wall or corner mounted and should incorporate distinct spaces to facilitate neat organisation. Handcrafted joints should be a distinctive feature of your artefact. The maximum dimension of your artefact must not exceed 450mm.
Congratulation to all the students and staff on another very successful year in the school. The success of the students in both academia and on the sports ground were recently acknowledged in the annual awards days. Here is a selection of photos from the day. To see the full set please visit the schools Facebook page.
Hazelwood College music department has been busier than usual this year. Not only did the annual musical take place recently but over the winter months the students were in school during holidays and weekends producing the 3rd CD of talent from the school.
“Inspirations” is a triple album showcasing the wide variety of musical talent from both past and present students of the school.
The CD will be launched on Friday 17th May 2019 with a variety show by past student Darren Roche from the critically acclaimed Irish band “Moxie” before he departs on a summer tour of Uk, USA and Ireland